Skip to content

The MMDA Flood Control Debacle: Are We Waiting For Ondoy II?

October 8, 2009

never again montage

Never again.

This should properly be the Filipino mantra in the wake of Ondoy.

But unless corrective steps are taken and people responsible are held to account, the next Ondoy will claim more lives and destroy crips and infrastructure, oublic and private, beyond the P 6-billion authorities have tallied up.

I say this because overnight two sobering items, a document and an investigative report surfaced possibly pointing to how we got to where we are: distraught over Ondoy.

In my mailbox landed a document image of the prospectus of the Japanese company which appears to have been the main builder of the Manggahan floodway project, the water spinach and water lily-clogged man-made river that’s supposed to prevent flods from engulfing Metro Manila from the Marikina-Pasig river basin.

JAP ENGINEERING FIRM PROSPECTUS ON RP FLOOD PROJECTSJAP ENGINEERING FIRM PROSPECTUS ON RP FLOOD PROJECTS montage

On its face the document is proof positive that a reputable contractor was behind Manggahan and other tangent, well-planned infrastructure, most likely funded in great part by concessionary project loans from Japan to the Philippines.

Laudable this is, indeed, as far as bilateral development cooperation goes.

This is the same principle that was in play when, as reported last night by ABS-CBN/Newsbreak that there had been a P 1.1-B flood warning system for Metro Manila, also generously funded by Japan.

But as the report reveals:

Expensive flood warning equipment and devices have been rendered idle and put to waste because of neglect following the transfer of flood control from the public works department to the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
The idle equipment could have mitigated the deluge brought about by tropical storm Ondoy in Metro Manila.
Abs-cbnnews.com/Newsbreak learned that a flood warning system from Japan amounting to P1.1 billion has been rendered useless because of neglect, indifference or simply lack of foresight.
Sources involved in the initial implementation of the project squarely faulted MMDA chair Bayani Fernando for the inoperable early warning facilities that could have minimized the flooding and deaths in the Pasig-Marikina-Laguna Lake complex.
These sources, who agreed to talk on condition that they will not be identified, said Fernando simply let the equipment suffer wear and tear, without the required maintenance “because he thought the cost outweighs the benefit,” sources said.
Sought for comment, Fernando refused to talk about the now useless flood warning system, saying he was too busy in garbage cleanup. “Let us not talk about it yet,” he said.

JAPANESE-SUPPLIED MMD FLOOD SYSTEM montage

(Images from ABS-CBN/Newsbreak)

Flood warning

The flood warning system in Metro Manila was procured through the Effective Flood Control Operation System or EFCOS, a brainchild of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

The project aimed to achieve effective flood control operations for the Pasig-Marikina-Laguna Lake complex through two major components of the Metro Manila Flood Control Master Plan: the Manggahan Floodway and the Napindan Hydraulics Control structure.

It involved the construction of an office that will serve as central network for the rainfall gauges and water level stations, plus a master control and multiplex communications network, relay towers and warning stations.

The EFCOS involved two phases. The first one, completed in 1992, was financed through a Japanese loan amounting to P600 million.

Two rainfall gauges in Boso-Boso in Antipolo and Mt. Oro in Montalban, including 9 water stations, were initially set up, with the master control station in the Rosario Weir (a weir is a small dam built in a river to back up or divert water).

Data from the water gauges and water level stations are transmitted through a telemetry system to the Rosario Master Control Station.

Advance information

From the data, authorities have advance information on any overflowing of riverbanks along the stretch of the Pasig river, thus alerting them for potential flooding.

The system also alerts authorities on how to regulate the water level in the Rosario Weir, whether to divert the waters into the Laguna Lake for temporary storage or into the Manggahan floodway. The Manggahan floodway was designed to mitigate flooding from the lower Marikina river and Pasig river.

The second phase, completed in 2001, was a grant from the Japan International Cooperation Agency, to the tune of P500 million.

This part of the project involved the installation of additional rainfall gauges in Mt. Campana in Antipolo, Rizal; Aries and Nangka, both in San Mateo, Rizal; Science Garden in Quezon City; and, in Napindan, Pasig City. Additional water-level stations were also set up and telecom equipment systems were distributed to the different local government units in Metro Manila for better coordination.

Nine warning posts were also installed along the Manggahan floodway, which were supposed to be operated by remote control to forewarn those living near the Pasig river for any potential flooding.

Neglected by MMDA

DPWH sources, who declined to be identified for lack of official permission, said that in 2002, the EFCOS project was turned over to the MMDA under Fernando based on a 2-page Memorandum of Agreement.

One source said Fernando himself lobbied with the President for the transfer of the EFCOS project under his control. The entire staff of EFCOS was also moved to the MMDA.

(Emphasis mine)

Sometime in 2006, the EFCOS project was no longer gathering or relaying data, and in May 2008, operation was suspended by the MMDA reportedly due to budgetary constraints. “We were informed that Fernando withheld the funds for the EFCOS because the cost of maintaining does not compensate for its supposed function,” one source said.

Worse, all the flood warning equipment, which were operational before, are no longer functioning, the sources said.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/print/73576

WTF???

Mr. Fernando does not want to talk about the matter right now?

Why?

Is it because the buck stopped with him and it ‘probably’ reveals his culpability???

Paging the Senate and the House of Representatives PLEEZ!!!

Or will our ‘honorable’ lawmakers clothed with investigative powers ‘in aid of legislation wait for the next Ondoy???

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. adaengkantada permalink
    August 2, 2010 3:41 pm

    Sir, do you have any updates on follow-up strategies of the government to prevent a disaster like the flooding that ondoy-peping caused?

    thank you

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: